I can’t believe that it has been 8 years since that evening in 2009 when I opened my club and had our first little 1920s Berlin themed party in a tiny skybox.
I didn’t expect much of it, I had only been in SL for a week when I started building and I had no idea what I was doing.
But the theme somehow managed to attract the right crowd and within no time a vibrant community of creative, fun, interesting and exciting people started to grow and populate my simplistic pile of prims.
This in turn motivated me and soon I wanted more than a little square with a cinema, shops and club floating high up in the sky.
So I started to improve my building skills, organised more events, did more research and slowly but surely a themed skybox became a neighbourhood and eventually a real city that would withstand the test of time.
It is impossible to explain how much the 1920s Berlin project means to me and I am always touched and excited to hear that it also means a lot to so many others.
On the 30th of May 2017 we’re celebrating the 8th (!) anniversary of our sim and we’re going to celebrate with a week of events!
We hope you’ll visit and be part of the celebrations, if you don’t want to change your avatar or outfit, don’t worry.
We end our celebrations with a Relaxed Rules day where we have no dress code and everyone (but naked people, Nazis and naked nazis) is welcome.
Below you’ll find the schedule of events.
Please note that certain events, times and dates may still be subject to change and others may still be added.
Feel free to join us in the Berlin group chat or join our Facebook group to stay up to date.
All times are Second Life time.
Tuesday 30th May
- 2pm annual dance under the Brandenburg Gate with a show by Sonatta Moralesta Morales and with DJ Myron Byron!
- 3pm Fireworks
Wednesday 31st May
- 1pm Soapbox airplane race for children
- 2pm Opening of the Biergarten at the back of Der Keller
- 4pm Ice cream social at the KaDeWe, free ice cream for all, children welcome!
Thursday 1st June
- 2pm German Food Festival of beer, sausage, cheese and more beer, at the Nussbaum with your host Herr Grau
- 4pm Party at the Supporters Penthouse room in the Hotel Adlon, only for supporters.
Friday 2nd June
- 1pm Opening ‘Zur Lindenwirtin’ club for “after hours entertainment”
- 2pm Special celebration dinner at Hotel Adlon
- 3pm Joaquin Gustav performs live music in the Adlon mirror ballroom.
- 6pm Party at the ‘Zur Lindenwirtin’ club for “after hours entertainment”
Saturday 3rd June
- 11am Miss Berlin pageant
- 1pm Flapperettes Anniversary
- 2pm Eldorado
Sunday 4th June
- 12pm (noon) Official opening of the new Library
- 2pm The long-awaited Grand Opening of a new art venue!
- 3pm Special surprise just for Long Term Tenants at the Amtshaus on Alexanderplatz
Monday 5th June
- 2pm Party in the Volksbad swimming pool.
Join us at the public baths for a wild party in the pool.
Swimming suits will be provided.
- 4pm Social at the KaDeWe Oyster bar with free bottles of special anniversary champagne!
- 5pm Projection of the movie ‘Berlin Alexanderplatz’ (1931) in the Babylon Cinema
Tuesday 6th June
- All day: Relaxed rules day
On this day everyone is welcome to visit our sim and take a good look around and see more of the sim than you’re usually allowed to see.
Several of our tenants will also the doors to their private apartments and an ‘Open House’ sign will show you where you can enter and explore how the people in the city live.
We also relax our dress code so you can come in modern clothes or as a non-realistic avatar.
You can visit Berlin by clicking this slurl; http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/1920s%20Berlin%20Project/243/224/1929
We also have a photo contest!
The theme is; “My favourite spot in Berlin”.
Let us know your favourite spot in the city, it can just be your apartment or that street corner where you first met that special person, maybe just the bench where you sit and enjoy life pass you by.
-You can adapt, improve or play with the snapshots in photoshop or with other software.
-No nudity, adult subjects or anything that is against SL rules.
-No modern (post 1920s) subjects, clothes, objects, etc.
-Snapshot must be taken in the 1920s Berlin Project sim.
-Photo may be used by us for PR.
-Contest closes on June 10th, pictures received after this date will not be judged.
-Winner will be announced on this blog on the 13th of June.
The first prize is L$2500, second prize is L$1000!
- To take part;
Upload your snapshots to this Flickr Group;
- Make sure you mention ‘My favourite spot in Berlin’ in the description of the photo.
- Also make sure you ad the correct slurl, people who see your photo may decide to visit Berlin and thus you will be helping the project;